UGH!!! In one word, that sums up my day!! I feel the need to rant...it is my blog, so I am not apologizing for complaining!
Things that sucked today:
* Utah drivers.....seriously people!! How many people need to run a red light? Do you really need to drive like a race car driver when its snowing just cause you have a SUV?
* Why did we have to get our 1st big snowstorm on my 1st day of work?? We got a few feet of snow today! I wish it stayed on the mountains & out of the valley!! Though it is beautiful! I remembered why I hate driving in the snow when......I was driving to my 1st client appointment today and it was a blizzard outside! Ok, blizzard is extreme but I have lived in Vegas for 4 years....I need a subaru!!! My Altima handled the snow ok today, I would just prefer an all wheel drive vehicle....I need to wait to make that purchase til I make the big bucks!!
*30 degrees today!! UGH!
*I had 35 case files sitting on my new desk already........apparently I am taking over another person's caseload, cause they are changing departments.
*When I remembered how much I am getting paid at my new job!! UGH!
The best part of my day:
*Being on my own.....driving around town to my client appointment and to lunch, its nice to get out of the office!
*My new boss is not a micro-manager! Woo hoo!!
*My dogs were so happy to see me come home! They have been spoiled this past month cause I have been home so much! Taking my dogs outside to go potty was hilarious! At first they looked at me like I was crazy cause they don't like to get wet. They were not a fan of the snow at first, then they started running & playing in it. Harley doesn't really like it, but Baxter seems to enjoy it! I have to block them from running back inside through the doggy door so I can clean off their paws. Baxter always wants to wrestle me. I need to remember to take pictures of them in the snow! So cute!
*Retail therapy! I felt a little like Carrie on Sex in the City when I went to buy shoes after work! Okay it wasn't $500 designer shoes, but they were nice boots from Macy's. I need winter shoes!
**So everyone was really nice to me at new job......but I admit I miss my old job! I am a little homesick!! UGH!
I realize that I am not good with change.....I would diagnose myself as Adjustment Disorder NOS. Those of us who know the DSM, know what I talking about! It takes me a while to adjust and get comfortable with a new place. Yes I've lived here before, but this time its different.
I think the reason I am a little cranky today is also cause I was up late last night. Adam & I went to see a play (Jekyl & Hyde) with Melinda & Skylar in Centerville & then went out to AppleBee's afterwards. The play was really good but I was tired this morning! I am such a grandma, I like to be home early so I can get to bed at a decent time. I generally don't like to be out late on school nights...I mean work nights!!
**So I need your opinion, advice, etc. I just started this new job with the State. I have another interview tomorrow for a different job with the State. Here's a pro's & con's list (of my current job) so I can think about it more clearly:
Pro's:
Boss seems cool
Not a desk job- variety
Awesome benefits
Con's :
The PAY! Ugh!
Not exactly what I want to be doing
Not using my degree
**So I haven't even been offered this new job.....but the big plus is that it pays better. If they do happen to offer me the job, or if I get a better job somewhere else....I feel bad giving notice to my current boss when I just barely started! I feel like such a flake cause I just started this new job. What I should have done was tell my boss that I have applied to other jobs & I am still waiting to hear back....I was so happy that he called to offer me a job, that I completed spaced the fact that I am waiting to hear back from other (better paying) jobs....So if I were to get another job offer say next week, do I give 2 weeks notice? I guess its the only right thing to do...but I guess it depends if my boss says he doesn't need 2 weeks notice since I havent' gotten too far ahead with my cases yet. Plus there is no guarantee that another employer will offer me a position & I needed a job, so I felt like I should have accepted this job regardless....but I probably should have at least said something! The other thing to think about is, what do I want to do? Work for the State, work for a treatment center to get my LCSW or work for a hospital? I miss the hospital setting but I don't know if I want to do it forever....I would have gotten seriously burnt out doing what I used to do. But don't all Social Work jobs run the risk of burn out? As my friend Lana says "social workers have bleeding hearts!" I am not sure if I would even be a good therapist (sometimes I feel like I need therapy myself!) so I don't want to waste my time working on getting my LCSW if I won't use it (4000 clinical hours for the state of Utah! UGH!) Though I like doing assessments & assigning a diagnosis.....the clinical aspect does interest me. Right now, there are no full time social work positions available for a therapist or medical social worker.....so I guess I will stick with the State for now.
Feedback people? I mostly need to know what to do if I get offerred another job & I don't want to look like a flake!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Take the money and run! If you get the other job, don't waste a second feeling guilty. Anyone would take better pay-bosses get that.
Take the new job if you are offered it! Don't feel like a flake ;) You need to do what you want to do and what makes you happy.
Don't be home sick of Vegas- ha ha :) You are SOOOOO lucky you are in Utah- I hate it here. I am ready to move!!!!
Post a Comment